Continuing the journey in His grip.......

After being diagnosed with invasive breast cancer on October 22, 2007, I realized that raising money for breast cancer makes me feel like I am doing something instead of feeling helpless against this disease. This diagnosis was a big shock to us. I was 40 years old, always very healthy and I had 2 small children(3&1). Breast cancer does NOT run in my family.
With a very supportive husband, family & friends, I made it through months of chemo and major surgeries. As of April 3,2008, by God's grace, I am cancer free!!!! I decided that I wanted to continue the fight against breast cancer by forming a team called ”Kat’s Courage” and raising money to help put an end to this disease. There were so many breast cancer survivor's who encouraged me during my fight. To see these women not only survive breast cancer but thrive after breast cancer, gave me this courage to face my fears. I can only hope to encourage others in the same way. We have just completed the 2010 Susan G. Komen 3-day for The Cure. We will continue to support different organizations that we believe in who are fighting against cancer and working for the cancer patient.

My Breast Cancer Journey

"THIS JOURNEY IS AN EVER-WINDING ROAD. I WILL WALK IT TALL, PROUD AND STRONG."

"I prayed every day that you would get well...now I pray that you would talk about something other than breast cancer awareness again"

gone fishin'

gone fishin'
caught some seaweed

Thursday, March 10, 2011

3 Years Cancer Free!!!!

I am getting ready to celebrate 3 years cancer free!!!! April 3, 2008 was the day I had my double mastectomy and the day I consider my Cancer Free Day. That was an awesome day to me to wake up from surgery knowing the cancer was gone and I was on my way to recovery.
I  had a little craziness last month when I noticed a pea size lump in my breast.  It was very close to where I had cancer before.  After 3 long days of waiting for the biopsy report and imagining that I could be going down that dark road of cancer again,  Dr. Timbert called to tell us that the lumps were NOT cancer.  Praise God!!!!!  
Now I am trying to figure out what I want to get into this year. I feel like I am struggling to find the balance of spending time with my family, taking care of myself, and trying to make a difference by helping others with cancer. I am really feeling lead to focus my efforts on a local level this year.
There are a few  things I am working on right now.
~The first is a one day walk for Breast Cancer Survivor's Network. This is on March 26th in Peachtree City.  Janet Beebe, the President of BCSN is a 26 year breast cancer survivor!  She has spent many years with this organization which provides assistance to breast cancer patients here in Georgia and also helps to connect survivors for emotional support.  It is not too late to sign up to join us for this 4 mile walk.  Here is my fundraising page. Please help us to support this organization if you can.
~The other project we are working on right now is a cook book fund raiser for Henry County Cancer Services.  This is an organization that provides financial assistance and Angel Food meals to cancer patients here in Henry County. We have been busy collecting delicious recipes from our friends and the books will be ready by Mothers Day.  Let me know if you would like to support HCCS by ordering a cookbook for $15.  
~We are also supporting the Randi Passoff Foundation with their memorial walk on Sept. 17.  Randi is a hero of mine who lost her battle with breast cancer last year.  We would love for you to join us in supporting this organization and help "Paint Georgia Pink" in her memory. I will post more information about that as it get closer. 
I am overwhelmed with all of the prayers and support from my friends. Thanks for your all of your love and encouragement!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of how good GOD is! I can't believe it has been almost 3 years & I'm so excited to have you as a friend. Your smile is beautiful and contagious. Keep up the good work of encouraging those that have had to experience breast cancer. You are an inspiration to me and many others! Love ya - Lana